Do you guys ever look into your fridge and just think, “about 90% of this fresh and healthy stuff is about to go bad…like yesterday”? ‘Cause trust me, this is the story of my life. I don’t even know how because I am fairly good at eating healthy! So, the other day, this happened for the umpteenth time and I figured I’d throw together whatever I could and see if it turned out okay. Plus, it was cold and rainy/icy and we were low on food/couldn’t get to the grocery store. Nothing is better than a hearty soup on these types of days, so I thought I would start there. Thus, the miracle of the rice and quinoa bowl was born.
The Rice & Quinoa Bowl “Recipe”
Ok, so there isn’t a real recipe, but here is what I did:
- Open fridge and see what is about to go bad
- Pull out said items
- Items included:
- 1/2 of a medium sweet onion
- Leftover quinoa from previous meal
- Items included:
- Decide how you’re going to take that from basic to a meal by gathering the remainder of things from your freezer and pantry. These things include but are not limited to:
- Chicken Sausage (flavored, cause NOM)
- Wild Rice w/Seasoning Packet
- Organic, low sodium chicken broth
- Cook the chicken, sausage, wild rice
- Dice any veggies
- In a separate pot, pour in broth, add any veggies that need to be cooked
- Shred chicken, slice sausage
- Add everything that is left into pot and simmer. Feel free to add more seasoning if needed.
- Realize that night 1 this is going to be a soup, and the following day the broth will be absorbed and you’ll have created the tastiest rice & quinoa bowl around.
You’re welcome. Eat your heart out because this is healthy as can be. My favorite part of this is that you can slam whatever you have into a pot and make some sort of soup. It’s all in the seasoning my friends. It’s all in the seasoning.