I am on a quest. I am about to go all “millennial” on you guys, but I am on a quest to find happiness. You wouldn’t think it would be that hard, but in today’s world, it’s getting harder and harder.
I often find myself completely happy in one area of my life and completely unsatisfied in another. Like, great relationship, bad job; loving where I live, then moving; tons of social options, then suddenly very few; Is it just me, or do you guys have the same thing happen? As soon as I get one thing under control, another declines. Why is it so hard to get all of my ducks in a row? Is it too much to ask? I’m not talking perfection, I am talking about satisfaction, happiness, comfort, and confidence in what you have and where you’re going.
I have been thinking about what finding happiness means to me, and what we all need to do in order to get there.
We need to:
- Throw kindness around like confetti. The more kind you are to others, the more happiness you’ll feel in your own life. Don’t expect anything in return. That isn’t what kindness is about.
- Know when you’ve found something great and do everything in your power to embrace, grow, and nurture it.
- Know when it is time to let go and move on. Not everything in life is worth the fight. Know when to just be done and walk away, and know that it is absolutely okay to do so!
- If you don’t like the way something is going, actively try to change it. I sometimes think this is the hardest part because it is so, so much easier just to sit and sulk. Understanding that things might not turn around instantly is key. Come up with a plan and work towards it. Day by day, hour by hour.
- Also, if you’re anything like me, a little retail therapy never hurt. When I am having a particularly rough day, this is the way to go 😉
Now I know that these things aren’t going to solve all of your problems or mine, but it’s a good place to start. We have the power to live a fulfilled life, or a miserable one. We all create our own happiness, choose our own adventure, if you will.
What do you do to actively create happiness in your life? What about in others?